As with all ferments, make sure to use sterile equipment.
2 cups whole wheat berries, rye, spelt, kamut, or quinoa
1 qt of water
1. You have 2 options. You can simply soak the grains, or you sprout them if you have a sprouter.
a. If you don’t have a sprouter: Cover the grains with water and let soak for 24 hours. Drain and rinse.
b. If you have a sprouter: Cover grains with water and let soak for 8 hours. Drain and rinse and allow to sprout until the grains develop a “tail.” Rinse every 8 hours during this process. When the grains are sprouted do a final rinse.
2. Place grains in an open mouth jar. Fill with 1 qt of water. Cover jar with cloth or sprout screen.
3. Let stand for 1-2 days. When the water becomes cloudy and starts to bubble it is ready. Pour out the rejuvelac and refrigerate.
4. Refill the jar with another 1 qt of water. Repeat the process.
5. When second batch of rejuvelac is ready, pour out and refrigerate. Compost the grains.
Drink a small amount with meals. Excessive intake will cause loose stools.